Follow my rules

I wandered into each of the girls’ rooms this morning and found that they had posted rules for each room. Here are the ones that made me smile.

  • When you step in my room, you live by my rules.
  • If you don’t like my rules, you better get out.
  • If you don’t follow my rules, well if you know my family by now, you should know you’re going to regret it.

I think this is what happens when you are growing up in my household, you confuse rules with threats. In my defense, the other rules were reasonable (clean up after yourself, no food, etc.) Well, at least my girls have moxy.  🙂

  1. claring
    November 10, 2010 at 10:05 PM

    This reminds me of a tenant (George)that just moved in and as I was going upstairs he was coming out of the bathroom. He was looking right then left while scratching his head and said to me “I saw those rules in the bathroom and I thought I already moved out of my friend’s house, because you have the same rules he does”. He added that he is an engineer. I almost said that I am an engineer too, but I don’t want him to think that engineers are weird and that we run the house so strict thinking that for every people problem we have a solution, therefore, here’s a set of rules for everyone to abide by and everything will run smoothly. Does it work? About 70% of the time. The other 30% just ignores the rules until I knock at their door, invite them to the living room, close the door then deliver my motivational speech (a few decibels higher than my presentation at a meeting).

    So I thought I was creative when I came up with a solution (actually I consider it more like an incentive than a threat.. depending on who you are talking to.. the landlord or the tenant). So far what works is charging them a cleaning fee – $30 if kitchen is not cleaned, $10 if bathroom is not cleaned, $10 if hallways/ stairs are not vacuumed. The penalty fee goes to the next person scheduled to clean after them. Guess what? One person (Ellen) tried to convince a couple (Cristopher & Joanna) to say to me that she has already given them the money even if she hasn’t. Well, wrong couple to talk to. The guy is feisty. They came right downstairs and told me the situation. Ellen is a senior who lives on social security and probably don’t have enough money. So to pacify him, I had to write a check and take it out of Ellen’s security deposit. Well, that was not part of my plan.

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: